Introduction

Welcome to my A2 media Blog, I'm Josh Stevenson (0796) and I'm in Group 2 with Harry Kettenis (0390), Matthew Romo (1660) and Ysabel Hudson-Searle (0331). Use the labels on the right to navigate through my blog, with the A2 labels relevant to my current course. You can access the main music video blog aswell using the link.

Here is the live link to Group 2's Facebook Page.

Thanks.

Music Video

Our Music Video

Digipak



Our Digipak
Top Left: Back Cover, Top Right: Front Cover
Bottom Left: Inside Back, Bottom Right: Inside Front

Our Website




Our Website (Click to Enter)

Sunday 20 July 2014

Question 4- How Do You Think Your Prelim Experiences Will Impact On Your Approach To Next Term's Music Video Coursework?

There are various skills that I have learnt from the prelim task that I will be able to apply to next term's project:
Lip syncing: 
This skill is something that is essential when making a music video, as in many cases it is the lip sync that makes a video believable. If the lip sync is out even by a fraction of a second, it can mean that the entire performance is seen to be staged and non-convincing.


Organising costume: 
You need to be as flexible as possible when it comes to making decisions on the costumes for each actor, because your preferred option for the character may not be all you thought it would be when it comes to seeing the actor in it. The costume chosen needs to fit the part, but also complements the actor wearing it as much as possible so they feel comfortable wearing it.

Organising the shoot:
Those organising the shoot planned out the day giving each shot a time allocation within which to be filmed, leaving contingency time at the end of the shoot for any pick ups that may be required. In my opinion that is probably the best way to organise my shoot next term, as it means that we get every shot that we plan for filmed on the day and do so on schedule. If there were any shots we got stuck on or weren't quite happy with, then it isn't a major problem because we would have allocated time for such an event.

Performance:
Through the prelim I was able to build on my confidence when performing in front of a camera by learning various techniques from our performance coach, meaning that next term when my group and I are deciding on actors for the video, I will be more than willing to put myself up for the role. It also means that if the choice is made to include anyone not in my group in the video, then I can confidently work with them to get into character and bring out a believable performance.

Editing:
Editing a music video is totally different to the type of editing I have done in the past, it requires very different skills an techniques. From the prelim I now have the knowledge to do so in an efficient manner, editing a performance bed while keeping a loose narrative that doesn't overshadow the music itself. Since a music video can be quite abstract, if we choose to have a narrative, then I would be confident ensuring it is maintained even when broken up by performance shots.

Editing to time was another skill that I acquired while editing the prelim. Some of the shots in the chosen music video were timed to fit in perfectly with the beat of the music. The main examples of this in our video is the shots of the 4 cigarettes and the floral lettering. This gives me more options as to the choices my group make when planning out the shots for my music video next term.




Make-Up:
The make-up required for a music video differs greatly to what you would see someone wearing during their everyday lives. A lot more time needs to be spent both clearing up the skin and making any features more prominent than I had previously thought so that the right things are highlighted on camera. Throughout the shoot day, the whole cast were getting their make-up touched up regularly so that it looked perfect for when they were needed on set. A bonus that I got out of the prelim is the opportunity to network; I made sure to get the contact details of the make-up artist we had on set as they made it clear that if we needed any help with the make-up on our shoots, that she would be more than happy to help. This is great for me and my group as it is one added stress that we hopefully will not have to contend with.


Props:
When it comes to props the key is to plan ahead as far as possible, so that if there are any issues you can sort them out well before these issues get that chance to affect your shoot. Being resourceful is also another important lesson I've learnt, most props can either be found by asking around or even by making them from scratch. In exceptional circumstances things may need to be bought, but there is generally a way around that.

Giving the actors a chance to practice with the props saves a load of time, because they get the chance to become familiar with the props and get an idea of what they need to do when it comes to the times of their shots.





No comments:

Post a Comment